Slideshow Widget

Water Damage and Mold are not good for CF Lungs

Monday, December 20, 2010

It's taken since Thanksgiving but we finally got rid of it...that smell.  The smell we first noticed after Thanksgiving.  The smell that came from our sink, or at least under it.  The smell that could not be rid despite that all the dishes were washed, the sponges were thrown out and the trash can was empty.

Finally, after every effort to take care of it ourselves, we had to hire a crew to come out and investigate water damage that was leading to mold under our sink cabinet.

It turns out that this was the best decision.  Water had been trickling from a leak in our faucet down the pipes to the bottom of the sink cabinet.  The water sat unnoticed for several weeks (we suspect) before a fowl odor was detected.

After a couple hundred bucks and three experts, we finally got rid of the moisture and mold that resulted from this leak.  We tore out the bottom of our cabinet, had the mold cleaned out and then dryed the wood with fans for about 24 hours.

It was a mess to deal with...and was frustrating to have to deal with near the holidays.  But it was well worth it since mold is a bad thing for Bennett.  In fact, one of the molds that was growing due to this water damage under our sink cabinet was Aspergillus Fumigatus, which can cause Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis.

Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis is basically an allergic reacation to this mold which manifests itself through inflammation in the lungs and, if untreated, can cause further lung scarring.

So, while our house briefly looked like a war-zone, the extra precautions of taped plastic around our kitchen were actually very very good.  The crew was able to come in, tear out the bottom of the sink cabinet, clean out the mold and replace the bottom of the sink cabinet without exposing Bennett to any harm.

All of the effort has had us thinking about other precautions towards keeping the air Bennett breathes in as clean as possible.  We have begun to consider possibly having our a/c and heating vents cleaned out as well as getting our carpets cleaned (we have even considered whether we should have carpets at all). 

We don't believe that these things make alot of difference in Bennett's life.  But research does show CF lungs are sensitive to these things.  So, it begs the question, what things can we do for Bennett now that will help him breathe easier later?

One thing we do know is removing the mold growing under our kitchen sink has helped us all breathe easier!!

2 Responses to “Water Damage and Mold are not good for CF Lungs”

  1. Thank goodness you caught it. Boy do I understand how challenging and frustrating water leakage and MOLD can be! SO glad they were able to take care of it quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is an old post, but if you have not already done so, take out the carpets. My mom who is has an immune deficiency went from having to get IVIG every month, to being off it for ten years.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Please leave your comment below!